Sunday, March 6, 2011

The transportation issue

I did consider getting a car, but they are much more expensive here (even used, I think someone said around $7000 for a used car) than they were in Japan.  (Unless my dad is finally going to get me that car he owes me!  Plus they drive on the same side of the road as the U.S., so I could always ship it home!)  However, people drive crazy here.  More people die here from traffic accidents than in any other country I think.  So, I don't think I want to drive here.  I might get a scooter, problem is, it rains a lot in this country.  Still it might be good to use for the days it isn't raining. 

Several of the other EPIK teachers have the same pick up issues that I have.  Some take buses to their schools.  I am not entirely sure what options are open to me, bus-wise.

The town is very modern.  Lots of high rises and neon signs.  The whole shebang!  Just on a much smaller scale than, say Tokyo (much MUCH smaller scale).  There are hotels and hospitals (and tons of christian churches, go figure) but no movie theater.  There is a train station but I can't go direct to Seoul, or Daegu which is the closest actual city (with a Costco!!!).  I think I have to make one change in either case.  The bus system in Korea is great though (and super cheap!  In fact all of Korea is super cheap.  Taxi fares have averaged $2.50 per ride and there are taxis EVERYWHERE).  Plus, where I am (Sang-ju) is smack dab in the middle of South Korea, so I can reach anywhere in Korea (by bus) in 3 hours or less.

Some EPIK teachers have even worse schedules than mine.  One girl has to teach at a high school, two middle schools and an elementary school, and make 16 DIFFERENT lesson plans EVERY WEEK.  At least I can use the same lesson plans between schools.  I feel so bad for her.  There was a guy who used to teach at my base school, Sa-Beol, but I don't know if he also taught at the other two as well. 

I think the students are more focused here than in Japan.  I have a few 6th graders who speak really great English.  They were asking me all sorts of questions on my first day.  I was so impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment