Monday, March 14, 2011

Message of Joy

First off, I just want everyone to know that I am just fine.  We didn't feel the earthquake at all here in Korea, and the tsunami didn't affect us at all.  We are completely blocked by everything by Japan, which is nice.

I just want you all to know that where the earthquake struck the hardest, Miyagi prefecture, was where I was living in Japan.  It boggles my mind to think that that could have been me there.  I still have many friends in Japan who have been severely affected by the earthquake and tsunami, and I have been (and continue to be) very worried about them (especially those I have yet to hear from). 

BUT!  I have great news!  Two American friends of mine, one of whom I actually attended UC Davis with as well, were in Minami Sanriku, one of the towns hardest hit by the tsunami (the whole town is gone now).  10,000 people out of the population of 17,000 are still missing, presumed dead.  For three days we didn't hear one way or the other about whether they were alive or not since communication, and everything else, has been completely knocked out in the town.  However, yesterday the Japanese National Defense Force was finally able to get into the town to rescue people.  When they got to the Shizugawa Junior High School, which has been set up as a shelter, they found my two friends!  They are alive and well!  I am so happy!

I still have friends that I have not heard from.  One, a Japanese lady named Rui Sasaki, was in Higashi-Matsushima, another town that was hit hard by the tsunami.  I ask everyone to please keep her, as well as all the people of Japan, in your thoughts and prayers.

All I have heard out of Kurihara is from my friend James.  He said that he is fine, and that all his electronics survived due to a futon (mattress) I gave him before I left Japan!  He doesn't have electricity or running water, and due to the frequent after shocks, he has started to live out of his car.  He says that gas and food are scarce, but that he has enough to eat for a week or so.  The only other person I have heard from in Kurihara is my friend Noriko, and all she said was, "we are alive Thank God" and that's the last I have heard.  Kurihara is inland, so they didn't suffer any damage from the tsunami.  The only thing that affected them was the earthquake.  Other than that I haven't heard anything.

I have started to settle into a routine, which is good for me.  The whole picking me up and dropping me off back home by my co-workers thing is really starting to get annoying.  I have to leave earlier than I would like and I have to stay later too because of it.  I get to talk with them, which is nice, but I would love to have my own transportation, if only to get to my schools.  I can get around the city and to other cities really easily since the bus terminal is a 2 minute walk from my apartment (it is about a 30 minute walk to the train station) so I can get around fine by foot or by bicycle (which I really need to buy).  Just getting to and from my schools is a hassle.  I am seriously considering buying a car like the one I had in Japan.  I am scared to drive in Korea though, they drive like crazy people here.

I finally went to Daegu, the largest city in my province, this past weekend.  Only saw a small part of it.  I was with a big group of foreigners, so we really didn't get much done, but we wandered a bit and did some shopping.  I found out the Cold Stone Creamery is here!  Yay for delicious ice cream!  I also ended up getting a cell phone (finally!) since I received my Alien Registration Card on Friday.  The ARC card is the most important thing you must have while living in Korea.  Without it, you can't do anything.  So now since I have the card I am officially a pseudo-citizen and can do such mundane things like opening a bank account and getting a cell phone and have insurance! 

Next order of business is buying a bicycle and maybe a car.  Plus one of my co-teachers, her name is Kim Sunyea (or Christina is her English name) is going to introduce me to a jazz dance studio, so maybe I will start getting back into shape! 

No comments:

Post a Comment